I have walked by the Cotton Museum many times, never giving it much thought. This was our destination one afternoon. It is a small, 2 room museum and the 44 of us overwhelmed its capacity! But, it was an interesting museum. I had no idea that Memphis had a large role, or any role, in the cotton trade. And I learned a lot about cotton and how it grows and how it is sold. Most interesting!
Mud Island sits in the Mississippi. And the museum there is really neat - Lots of
information about the history and culture of the lower Mississippi. I enjoyed it a lot. The outdoor river walk is a scale model of
the River. It shows the River and its
tributaries as it flows from the Kentucky/Tennessee/Missouri area to the Gulf
of the coast of Mew Orleans. It is a
very well done exhibit. It helped that
it was a beautiful fall day, sunny, bright and not too warm. It was fun to walk to New Orleans and back!
Other activities of note were Lunch at Central BBQ and Gus’s
Famous Fried Chicken, a walk through the Peabody lobby to see the ducks
swimming in the fountain, and a chance to get a much needed hair cut at the day
spa in the Peabody.
But, the best of all is the RV Park, Tom Sawyer’s,
on the banks of the Mississippi. It is just
a nice quiet park, with spectacular views of the river and its barge
traffic. Great sunrises and a few interesting
moonrises while we were there.