Monday, October 07, 2013

Saturday and Sunday in Memphis

After we left Cape Girardeau, we stopped at Lambert’s Restaurant in Sikeston, MO.  Lambert’s is the home of the “throwed roll” and extremely large portions!  The food was good and the leftovers will be even better!  Then we arrived in West Memphis AR.  Not quite TN, but close enough that I could see it across the Mississippi and it felt like we were home, at least for a while.

(A side note about the Mississippi:  Our travels for the last few days has led us away from the river:  Once because of construction and other times because the interstate was the chosen route.  I never thought I would miss the River.  But, I did!  It felt good to be back on its banks!)
What do you do when you are in Memphis?  Our answer is “Beale Street”. While we have an afternoon scheduled on Beale Street, we chose to go in right after we arrived.  Beale Street at mid-day is not the Beale Street that we like.  In the light of day all of the low points of “the street”, its foibles, frailties and flaws are more than obvious.  At night, the lights, the frenzy and all of the music hide it all.  It looks and feels so much better at night!  So, both Saturday and Sunday nights we have visited Beale Street.  And listened and danced to a great blues guitarist and a fantastic Jerry Lee Lewis tribute band. 

On Sunday, we wanted to find a brunch with some music.  It was harder than I thought to find a non-buffet brunch at a reasonable cost with music.  But, I did find it, at Bosco Squared.  The blues were great and the omelets were, too!  As were the mimosas!  We also had a chance to attend church at the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception, cathedral of the diocese of Memphis, home parish to Priscilla Presley when she first moved to Memphis and the location of Danny Thomas’ funeral.  It is a spectacular church.  I can’t quite describe how it moved me.  It was not of the grand scale of the large cathedrals in St. Paul, MN and St. Louis, MO.  It was not the spectacular craftsmanship of the St. Louis mosaics.  But, it was such a large open altar area, one that draws you in the moment you enter the doors.  It has a great mural of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin.  It just seemed so comforting, welcoming and calming.  I was enthralled with it and its beauty.
The afternoon was spent at the campground listening to a group of bluegrass musicians.  They were invited in to the campground especially on the weekend that our group was visiting.  Great way to spend a pleasant afternoon sitting on the banks of the Mississippi watching the barges and tow boats go by and listening to music, while sitting in the sun and enjoying the spectacular fall day. 
All in all Memphis delivered the music we wanted!

As always, there will be more to come sometime soon!